1. God created all things.
I am the Lord, who made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens who spread out the earth by myself. (Isaiah 44:24)
2. All things are dependent on God for their existence—at the beginning and all the way along.
From Him and through Him . . . are all things. (Romans 11:36)
3. All things are God’s servants.
By your appointment they stand this day, for all things are your servants. (Psalm 119:91)
4. God guides and directs all things according to the counsel of His will.
In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will. (Ephesians 1:11)
5. Because God can do all things and controls all things His will can never be frustrated.
I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. (Job 42:2)
6. God created all things, upholds all things and infallibly guides all things to show forth His glory.
From Him, through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. (Romans 11:36)
Therefore, if we love God and delight to show His glory . . .
7. Because God did not refrain from giving us His most precious treasure—His Son—He will give us all things.
He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? (Romans 8:32)
8. God will give us all things we need in order to live a life of godliness and show forth His glory and excellence.
His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence. (2 Peter 1:3)
9. This means that as God’s children all things in our lives are servants for our good and God’s glory.
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:2)
10. Suffering and yes, even death, are servants for good for those who love Jesus.
For all things are yours, whether . . . life or death or the present or the future—all are yours. (1 Cor. 3:21-22)
Those who know and revel in these great truths of God’s glory and sovereignty in all things are the most unshakable of saints. There are so many set-backs, so many discouragements, so many failures and weaknesses in our lives. What keeps us from growing weary and getting disheartened* and giving up on God, ourselves and others? Because we know that “in all these things we are more than conquerors” through Christ Jesus (Romans 8:37). Nothing comes to us—nothing—as Christ’s followers that God did not bring about, direct and design to draw us closer to Him that we might gladly reflect His glory in our lives.
Let these words sink deeply into your heart, soul and mind this day. God is so great and He so greatly wants us to live lives of holiness and happiness. God made you to joyfully show forth His beauty and glory. If you love this truth then know this day that all things—all things in your life past, present and future—will help you see and show more of that unsurpassed glory this day and all your days.